Update 1.5: Decals is out on Steam!
We just released update 1.5 – the Decals update- on Steam! If you’ve been following our social media or Discord, you’ll know that the console version of update 1.5 isn’t quite ready yet – but for a pretty good reason!
We’re making native versions of Trailmakers for Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X|S! We’re hoping to have the release of the patch for Playstation and Xbox in roughly a month, but we’ll update you on all our socials + this website once we have a firm release date!
This update brings an entirely new cosmetic aspect of building to the game, and we can’t wait to see what you build with it! The feature itself is free for everyone, with four different categories of Decals available for free. If you decide that you like the feature & want more, we have the Expression Pack and the Action Pack available to really make your builds stand out!
Other things included in the update: New outfits added for players who have purchased the High Seas expansion, new clean skin for blocks (no more nubs if you don’t want them!), leaderboard resets in Rally and on Race Island, various bug fixes and three new free blocks for all!
Bug fixes include our most requested – you will no longer accidentally select blocks behind the camera when using drag select!
We also introduced three new free blocks to the game for all players:
- The Friction Block – this anti-slip block should help people who build walkers and mechs with those endeavours!
- The Simple Hub Cap – A new block to make your wheels look slick, which coincidentally also makes Decals on wheels look really damn good!
- The Dice dispenser – Yahtzee! You can now shoot six-sided die from your creations!
- New outfits for player characters for all players who own the High Seas DLC!
- Screen Space Reflections – for players with high end machines, you can now toggle on screen space reflections (the option can be found in Advanced Graphics, set Post Processing Quality to ULTIMATE to enable screen space reflections!)
- New, clean skin for blocks – this has been a much-requested feature, and the addition of Decals was the perfect time to introduce it. You can now achieve clean, nubless builds without covering them in armor plates!
- New video on the Main Menu!
- Leaderboards reset in the Rally mode and on Race Island!
We’ve removed the Steam API Toggle- the most noticeable change is that it is no longer necessary to choose whether or not to use the Steam network API for a server. The transport layer will now automatically try all possibilities and select the best one for each connected client. We’ve also added a few more connection options that should hopefully improve overall network reliability and connection establishment.
- New block: Friction Pad (can be found in the Wheels category
- Simple Hub Cap (Can be found in the Accessories section of the builder, under Rims)
- Dice Dispenser (can be found under Gadgets) – dispenses big six-sided dice!
- We added a Speed slider to existing rims, which allows you to change how fast they spin, and even which direction they spin!
- We added a Frame of Reference drop down to the Altitude Sensor, so it can now Ignore Waves, or be relative to them!
- Further improvements to Mirror Mode, based on feedback the community has given us since the last update!
- When viewing Skins in the builder or customization screen, they will now have a tooltip with their name shown when you hover over them with cursor!
- We changed Mirror Mode so you cannot click / select blocks on the other side of the mirror than you are – no more accidental trips through the mirror dimension!
- We added an orange outline to the Mirrored block / group that you have selected.
- The virtual nubs that appear in the builder to highlight where you can place/snap a block to are now always shown, rather than flashing for a brief moment after panning the camera.
- We’ve optimized the performance of these virtual nubs!
- We made the directional Arrow in the Builder prettier!
- Whilst the Mirror Mode is still technically in beta, we’ve fixed many cases of it not behaving as expected & made many improvements to it. This is both for players who use Mouse & Keyboard, and for players who use Controller. We’d appreciate it if you’d continue giving us your feedback, so we can make the feature the best it can be!
Bugs & other fixes
- Fixed blocks that were behind the camera incorrectly being selected when you used drag select!
- Fixed buoyancy Control Device being in its deflated state when dragged into the Builder.
- Fixed errors that were being thrown when Dispenser Blocks were activated.
- Fixed an issue to some cosmetic blocks that incorrectly had secondary tint enabled.
- Fixed a case of overlapping icons appearing momentarily during an auto build of a template structure.
- Fixed an issue with some template vehicles having blocks rotated incorrectly if you used the Auto Build or built them step by step.
- Fixed the “Instruction complete” message remaining in place if you remained in the Builder after completing the very first build Tutorial.
- Fixed being able to open the Map whilst the In Game Menu was open.
- Fixed cases of Rich Text working where it shouldn’t.
- Fixed being able to delete a block whilst dragging it which would lead to a phantom block haunting you.
- Fixed another case of phantom blocks when spawning a structure into Mirror Mode when blocks were already spawned in.
- Fixed many cases of nudging in Mirror Mode leading to overlapping blocks.
- Adjusted some LOD levels on a handful of blocks.
- Fixed High Seas keyboard and mouse template vehicles using different colours to what the Blueprint image showed.
- Fixed an issue that caused many blocks to spin whilst in Build Mode.
- Fixed the Rims not mirroring correctly.
- Fixed the Builder Locked state breaking if the list of locked Blocks, Skins or Decals got too long.
- Minor placement adjustments to many of the hats.
- Moved the character ever so slightly up so their feet aren’t sinking so much.
- Fixed some input fields outlines that would flicker.
- Fixed an issue with the Tractor Beam where it would throw errors in specific situations.
- Fixed some UI elements not being suppressed when the map was opened.
- Fixed the customisation screen viewed in High Seas.
- Fixed an issue with colliders in LOD Groups on many instanced trees.
- Fixed multiple shader issues across the game.
- Fixed cases where going in and out of the customisation screen quickly could cause it to not render.
- Fixed the glass on the VIP Seat.
- Fixed the Ice prefabs being white and textureless.
- Fixed the Dispensers not having a default despawn key assigned for controllers.
- Fixed a bug in which the Complexity and Power Core cost options when creating a High Seas server were incorrectly available.
- Fixed a bug in which blocks in the inventory could be affected by the lighting of the world.
- Fixed a bug in which the Auto Focus toggle was defaulting to Off for new players!
- Localisation fixes.
- Fixed the ramp.
Console specific changes & bugfixes:
- PS5 and Xbox Series X|S will be able to host their own servers once the native version of the game is installed
- (Xbox) removed in-game voice chat, players will now have to use the Xbox Party System for chat.
- Fix for a crash that would occur if multiple invites were accepted in quick succession.
- Fix for a crash if you started loading into a single player session immediately after accepting an invite.
- (PS4) Fixed a case where selection could be lost if using the touch pad on a confirmation prompt.